Our Learning Community

Proud to Learn Together

Prompt 1 – Part 3: Community Contributions

As stated on this site, I am always in the mood to teach and learn. While I have posted my intake on the three different Learning Approaches, I was interested to see other people’s intake as to their perspective on these approaches. I am glad that I looked at this alternative thinking. I definitely learned a lot from reading a point of view that differed from mine. Just because it differs from mine does not mean I am right and wrong, or vice versa; it just means there are more meanings to it that I did not consider until now. It’s how we learn by exploring more into the topic; rather than looking at it as a black and white picture, but a picture containing some grey.

A post that I really appreciate is Jerry‘s comment on Behaviourist. Something that I did not take into consideration is this notion of how Behaviourism is not only rewarding but as well as a punishment. What Jerry explains in his post Behaviorists,Cognitive theory ,Constructivism the description of Ivan Petrovich Pavlov’s Conditioning theory experiments which elaborates on this idea of how we learn can be treated as how we would train a dog. The comparison between the two makes complete sense as to how our efforts create the most deserving outcome. That reinforcement can lead to motivation which soon leads to easier learning and a more positive environment. Personally, whenever I feel like I have done enough studying, I take a nap, and I end up waking up feeling good about myself because I created an outcome that I thought was most deserving. As opposed to taking a nap when I am too stressed to think, I feel guilty when I wake up due to my thinking of not deserving the nap or wasting time because I felt that I was not successful with my studying. Highly recommend seeing Jerry‘s post to get a deeper understanding of his perspective on this theory.

A post that I could not agree more with is Liv Aktiv post regarding implementing more art as a way for students to learn. For someone who took some Spanish courses while taking Chemistry courses during my time here at UVIC, I noticed the major difference between the two. Though let me first say, I would not consider myself a fluent Spanish speaker though I have been learning the language for over 5 years now, I did find relief of stress when comparing to my studies in the chemistry department. The ideology of repetition definitely helped me to feel more confident as to what I’m learning. When studying chemistry, it was hard to implement repetition when there were different equations, for example, that needed different approaches. When it comes to regaining memory I believe that it is easier to imagine what someone had vocally said to you as opposed to what you saw on a piece of paper. Something that I learned in Liv Aktiv’s post was that frequency had a role in how to retain memory and correlation to our learning. I have never heard of the TPRS learning style and I absolutely love that idea! Being able to make connections in a fun way, such as storytelling, again alleviates the stress of having to find data learned in a stressful environment. It was a way of making personal connections, and by making topics personal, it is easier to obtain our memory due to our personal memories being so close to us, it is hard to forget. I highly suggest putting your intake to Liv Aktiv‘s post on Blog #1 and learn more on her teachings of this way of learning.