Our Learning Community

Proud to Learn Together

Prompt 4 – Part 2: Community Contribution

Zimming Li provides a great video about Private and Personal Goods. The positives of the video are that it provides lots of visuals that make the video interesting instead of lots of words that can overload the audience’s comprehension and attention span. I really enjoyed thinking of creating a feedback activity that will be accessible during this time of the pandemic, which I tend to forget to consider. I would agree that creating a discussion post would definitely be beneficial to implementing different perspectives and understanding to the video and saving you time instead of checking every individual’s email. I notice you stated that you would reply to each post once the discussion has been closed. I would say that would take the same amount of time as responding via email. I would recommend creating a general post throughout the time given to the post. For example, I am in a class where discussion post makes up our grade, and we have to post one post every week, along with a response. My prof would then create an update discussion post, for example, one on Tuesday, and the other on Thursday, giving general feedbacks such as common mistakes or common posts that the prof is looking for, in which sometimes he would include names of the posts in which he believes is a strong post. Students can reflect on those posts and inquire about the feedback given without having to respond to all of the student’s work.

Weiran’s Uvic Blog post also posts a video of personal and public goods. The difference with Wieran’s post is that there is a bit more information within the video such as charts, making it easier to understand the content in a more concrete way rather than an abstract way. As well, the video does provide an activity for the viewers such as asking questions such as what is rival and what is non-rival. Like Zimming’s post, Weiran too will provide a discussion post to check the student’s understanding, however, the difference would be to provide a quiz after based on the student’s posts. I would say that is a great idea in checking in with the student’s understanding and evaluation for it can reveal a generalization of what is being understood or not, which I can agree is an easier job to manage. I also like how the mentioning of the benefits of the video such as the additional feature of subtitles for those students with learning difficulties is great to mention to allow an inclusive and welcoming learning process.

Overall both posts provide great videos based on public goods and mention the productive and effective ways of evaluating students.