Our Learning Community

Proud to Learn Together

Prompt 3- Part 2: Community Contribution

Something that stood out for me was Julia’s post on the different types of colour blindness. A key factor in my Pod’s learning design is to ensure that those who are hard of hearing or those who are colour blind are to be included within our learning resource. Knowing the other options of including those with these disabilities can help enhance the environment even more. Having a better understanding of those who are colour blind, including a small palette of colours that can be chosen, gives off the intention of including others by paying attention to the needs of an individual. Reducing the stress upon a student who has difficulties categorizing knowledge is highly beneficial to the mental health of a student too. Not only that, but there is more knowledge and perspective that can be carried on to future learnings.

It has been harder for teachers and professors to implement a learning design accessible for all during the pandemic. A personal struggle for me was learning a course taught in Spanish, for when there was a low connection, the audio would be broken up, making it hard to understand, especially when Spanish is not my first language. Aini’s post gave me that reminder of what I had wished was implemented during these hard times which was the usage of subtitles within lectures. As Aini mentions, the idea of paying attention to the environment of learning can provide empathy and improvements of how to teach to those struggling with the new changes. The majority of my courses during the pandemic provided recorded lectures, which I found useful to pause and take notes on, however did not provide subtitles, which makes me think about those with a disability who would have difficulty understanding or hearing the video. I would strongly agree that the need for subtitles is a must when engaging in online learning, something my group made sure of when providing external resources to our learning design.